June 22, 2006
I just finished pulling together the student newspapers that hadn't been microfilmed yet. (1990-2006) What an interesting project that was. Our serials clerk gave up trying to track them a few years ago, though she was saving them. One year there were 4 "Issue No. 8"'s. Another year they didn't change the Vol. number until the 3rd issue. Another year they seemed to number the issues on a whim. I ended up with 146 issues and 1358 pages. In addition they changed the size and format 4 times since 1999.
I just sent my stats off to two vendors to get quotes. I asked for microfilm costs, scanning costs, OCR and indexing costs, plus the cost of scanning, OCR and indexing the years we already have microfilmed. (32 rolls) I'll be interested to see what I get.
The vendors I approached were Hudson Microimaging and Biel's Information Technology Systems.
We are also looking at the cost of scanning the yearbooks. I got an offer from Indus MIS,Inc. to do a sample yearbook. I just sent e-mail to ask where to send it. The William Smith centennial is coming up so we'll do the first vol. (My supervisor, Sara Greenleaf's suggestion.)
I made all these contacts at the WNYLRC Digitization Expo, so that was a very fruitful day.
I'll keep you up on the information I get back.