November 29, 2007
As the semester ends we just finished all 13 boxes of faculty files that came to us from Communications at the beginning. They are all processed and entered into Archivists Toolkit. It has been great to have that networked so my students could input the data as they went. Of course I still need to fill in the rest of the information.
I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the time to do subject tracing on each faculty member, or if time wise in makes more sense to depend on Ctrl-F to find a name in the Finding Aid. If I decide to do it “right” the finding aid may never get finished. Ponder, ponder.
A big thanks to my studentworkers for a very long job, well done. Julius Ferraro and Pete Murphy will graduating at the end of term, so huzzah to them both. Also working on this project were Tiffany Bennett, Kate Schuster, Roger Arnold and Betsy Dingman. We would never get anywhere with out their help!!
November 21, 2007
The Colleges are putting up a new website, with an updated history. They have asked me to fact check the whole page. Interesting the things “we all know” but I have a hard time putting my finger on how we know it. I am learning a lot as I go, which is always a treat.
I hope everyone has a nice holiday tomorrow!
November 16, 2007
Well, I’ve worked out the procedure for automating the resizing of photos for the OPAC and for thumbnails. I was hoping that I could do the “save as. jpg” and “save as _t.jpg” as well, but apparently you can’t automate “save as.” My other dashed hope was to select a whole folder of images to resize at one time. It seems they still have to be done one by one.
I’ve done three disks so far. The first I worked out the bugs, the second I wrote up the procedure while I did it, the third I followed the written procedure. I think I’m good to go. I’ll add the page to my “Archives Manual.”
If any of you have hints on streamlining this process, I’d love to hear them!
November 6, 2007
We decided to do the display cases this month documenting the process we go through to take our photos from the filing cabinets, to the Voyager catalog. I took some snaps to show off the process.
Here is Kate Schuster preparing photos for scanning.
And Jessica Julius scanning.
November 2, 2007
I forgot to add the need for environmental control. I’ve been tracking and when they turned on the heat the humidity dropped from an average of 65% to an average of 35%. Not good.