February 26, 2009
OK, I know a lot of you are quicker on the uptake than I am, but I’ve fused over doing finding aids with the data from Archivist’s Toolkit for months. I would try, get the data with no formating, try something else, no joy, wait a few weeks than start all over again.
“It’s all happened before, and it will all happen again.” BSG
- using the AT export EAD button
- taking the file to Notebook with the EAD Cookbook
- doing parse and validate
- doing make HTML
Makes sense, that was how I had done finding aids by hand.
Guess what! Finding Aid is a report under Resources in AT! Talk about making things harder than they need to be.
I did need some help with one change. The title of the finding aid was showing up as the ID number. I posted my question on atug-L yesterday and found it answered this morning. Thank you, Winona Salesky of UVM!!
If this helps anyone see the light sooner than I did…HUZZAH.
[Points for me, I remembered to update my Procedures Wiki with the new information. ]
October 29, 2008
Up to this point all the copying and scanning we have done for researchers has been free. It was decided that we needed to get some return for our time and supplies.
I checked with all of my “buddies” on the SAA Lone Arrangers list to see how others handle it. The responses varied widely from no charge, to $20/hr research fees. There seemed to be a lot around the $0.25/page level. The one I wanted just asked for a donation and gave contact information on how to send the money.
After a discussion this is what we ended up with:
There is a minimum charge of $5 per request. This includes up to 20 black and white copies or scans of standard size.
Make checks payable to:
Warren Hunting Smith Library Associates
Hobart & William Smith Colleges
334 Pulteney St.
Geneva, NY 14456
I wanted to go with the donation because then I wouldn’t have to track anything. I worked out a procedure with our secretary that when I send the “Policy” to someone I will cc: her. She will notify me when she receives a check and I will send the materials.
I have a feeling this is going to cut down on the number of requests we receive. It will be interesting to see what happens.
May 1, 2008
I decided the only way I could make the PDF/A of email work was to do it monthly. Unfortunately, after a month I had apparently forgotten how to do it, but didn’t realize it. I got just as frustrated as always ( my student workers were getting concerned about all the swearing), until I went back to read my own procedure. Then it worked just fine! Oh well…
February 21, 2008
Many thanks to Mitch for telling me about the program “Renamer” to solve my last tif to jpg to thumbnail problem!!!
I think I’ve mentioned before that I’ve begun an “Archives Procedures Manual or What to do if the Archivist gets hit by a bus.” Here is the page I’m putting in for Reformatting Tiffs. As always, let me know if you see someway I can do it better or more efficiently.
In My Computer:
Tiff’s are saved in a phot_file folder numbered the same as the CD. [\PHOT_FILE_01]
Copy all the files from the folder into the \PhotFile\temp folder
drag files from folder in to Renamer
Rule Remove all “G.Phot file “ (skip extension)
Open all of the Tiff files in \PhotFile\temp
File menu/automate/batch/Save as jpeg
File menu/automate/batch/Run action Resize 640
In My Computer
Copy all jpgs from \Photfile\temp to \Phot file
Open ReNamer [insert “_t” as Suffix (before extension)]
File menu/automate/batch/Run action Resize 200
Copy thumbnails from \photfile\temp to \photfile
In My Computer:
Delete Tiff’s from \PhotFile\temp