July 24, 2006
Kathryn Fredrick, our Electronic Services Librarian, just walked in and said, “I woke up Sunday morning thinking, wouldn’t it be neat to have a search box on the Archives webpage that would do a Voyager search already limited to archives.”
My answer? “*#$% YEAH!”
She is going to send me the coding to add to the page. You will be able to search, keyword, author, title, or subject. I can’t wait.
Kathryn is so great. For the most part it seems like the colleges and most of the library don’t know we exist, and here she is thinking of us in her sleep. 🙂
July 19, 2006
Since the summer began I’ve spent a lot of my time scanning photos for a new webpage celebrating the centennial of William Smith College. At the same time the Communications office moved and found lots of stuff to send my way. Add to that piles of things that folks asked me to pull out for them and hold because they would be back (and haven’t in months), and I don’t have any space.
I’m going to start the day by putting away everything I possibily can and then get into accessioning everything else so it can be stashed to be found when needed. I need breathing space. 🙂
Back in 2003 when I first started as an archivist I started an accession database in MS Access based on what I learned from reading Keeping Archives. It helped me get a handle on the piles around me. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I found I had not added anything in 2006. No wonder I’m buried in piles again. Though the piles are not as bad because last summer I bought three literature sorters from Staples where I put regular college memos and publications, e.g. faculty memos, convocation programs, publications from the Deans…
The other advantage of the Accession database was Sara Greenleaf, Head of Tech Services, was about to add entries to the online catalog, so accessioned, but uncataloged items could be found online.
Well back to the piles. 🙂
July 14, 2006
I asked our electronic services librarian, Kathryn Frederick, if she could help add randomized photos to the Archives webpage. And boy did she!! Now everytime the page is refreshed a different photo from our digitized photo collection comes up. I’m very pleased with the results!!! Check it out. http://academic.hws.edu/library/archives/ She also added the title and date below the photo and if you click on the photo it takes you to the catalog record. Huzzah Kathryn!!!
July 11, 2006
Last week I had a bit of a crisis re: the archives “vault”. The term vault is loosely applied to a locked closed with concrete block walls to which only a few have keys. I’ve been concerned for a while about the shelves because they are made of wood. They are also strangely laid out so you can’t even get to some of them. I ran out of space a while back and I’ve had to start piling boxes on the floor, never a good idea. Friday some microfilm arrived from the registrar’s office to be added to the previous records in the vault. Panic ensued as four people searched the vault and could not find the previous records. We did finally find them…right at our feet…under a huge box with a wedding kimono in it. I guess I’ll keep lobbying for new shelves. I will also label the vault “Fibber McGee’s Closet”.
July 11, 2006
I received the following e-mail question from Jordon Steele, Archivist at the Biddle Law Library at U of Penn.
So I’ve encoded 3 finding aids in EAD and written the XSL stylesheets to convert them to HTML. However, when I display the XML files online and view the source code, the source code shows EAD tags and not HTML. As a result, older browsers won’t parse the XML and I get an error message. I think it has something to do with the fact that the XML to HTML conversion is being done in the browser, which is why older browsers that don’t understand XML can’t process the request. Check out the finding aids (“Collection Guides”) on my website and view the source to see what I’m talking about:
How did you get your EAD finding aids to display in HTML? Did you employ a conversion step before posting them on the web?
I went to look at his finding aids and they look great (I really like the style he used) in my browser. I use Firefox 1.0.4. which I really love, and it’s free!
I compared his source page to mine and it looks like he may have skipped the conversion step. The xml does need to be converted to html. This is one step in the process in NoteTab under Transform > Make HTML. I believe It can also be done in MS Word, but I use NoteTab so I don’t know the process.
If any readers have ideas about conversion, please let us know. Let’s help each other out here. 🙂
July 5, 2006
I wrote to Karen Dupell Drickamer, Archivist at Gettysburg College, and asked about their project and received the following reply:
We sent our microfilm to OCLC’s Preservation Lab in Bethlehem, PA, for digitizing. They sent the files to Olive Software who uploaded them in to “Active Paper.” Olive Software hosts everything.