June 27, 2007
I just finished matching the Voyager authorities to the AT Name and Subject lists. I seem to have cleaned up some messes I had made when I was first starting. I’m happy because there is now a consistency throughout.
Now on to a really BIG project, making a finding aid for three collections of “stuff” that have come over from the Office of Communications over about 20 years.
June 21, 2007
OK, now here is a project that can only be done at an institution as small as this one.
Since it’s so quiet here in the summer, it lends itself to detailed work. I’m going through all the authority records I’ve created on Voyager in the last four years and adding them to the Names database in Archivists Toolkit. In the names record I’m putting a note with the Authority record ID number. By doing this I’m finding places where I wasn’t consistent, and adding a lot of 410 and 510 fields.
The main reason for doing this is that the filter on AT names is so easy to use, compared to searching the authority records on Voyager. I will use AT when cataloging to speed things along.
I should mention that I can’t do this for more than 1 1/2 a day, I seem to become lethargic after that. 🙂
June 20, 2007
Thanks to Spellbound I just learned about the SAA2007 Wiki. I’m all signed up. It may be a way to make even better connections with people. I’m hoping I will be able to blog about the sessions I attend.
I’ve had a couple of people recommend the Architecture Boat Tour. I’m hoping to go Saturday afternoon at 3:15, after the conference is finished. Anyone want to join me?
June 14, 2007
Make sure to take a look at Nora and Kim’s comments. They are both quite helpful.
June 12, 2007
I’ve decided it’s time to get all the archives procedures that have been written up (many have not) into one place. It’s that old “what would they do if I got hit by a truck” scenario.
I’m searching for the files, on all the computers and disks I can think of, moving them to a folder on my computer named “Archives manual”. Next, I’m converting them to PDF and saving them on the Archives server so they will be both backed up, and accessible to the rest of the library staff. I decided on PDF with the hope I can figure out how to index the whole lot.
I had hoped I could just append like I do with the faculty e-mail, but that doesn’t seem to be an option in Word. I can insert pages so perhaps that is what I will end up doing.
As always, if you know how to index or have other great tips, I’d love to hear from you and will share the information here.