March 25, 2010
If you’ve followed this blog for a while, you know what a strange organization we have in our archives. We are now trying to address the problem, first by determining what we have that are actually college records.
Right now all of “archives” is labeled as the Geneva Collection. It has been defined as a whole as things having to do with the Colleges’ history, or the history of the local area. Parts of the collection are
- cataloged and barcoded and on book shelves [some published, some in notebooks]
- G mss file: items in folders arranged by “call no.” in document boxes
- G phot file: two filing cabinets of photographs that are in the process of being digitized and added to Voyager, the library online catalog
- G pro file: programs
- G al file: alumni information and publications
- G fac file: faculty publications
- G let file: letters
- G inv file: invitations
- G #ed collections: which are larger manuscript collections keep in file boxes
The problem is that what would be considered college records are just mixed in with everything else.
We are in the process of redefining the Geneva Collection to be published materials. Having just finished an inventory, I am trying to identify and pull unpublished materials [i.e. committee minutes in binders] out of that collection.
I see much moving of stuff in the future for my student workers.
March 24, 2010
I just got an email from Martha McTear, Metadata Librarian for special collections at College of Charleston. Turns out she is an WS alum from the class of 1997. That’s 6 years before I got here, but it’s still pretty cool. Martha asked about my cataloging strategy. Seemed like an easy post to just cut and paste my answer in a post. [You say lazy, I say efficient]
I would have to say I go from EAD to MARC. It took me a few years to get the hang of going from being a librarian to being an archivist. [collections, not items] I start by having student workers do inventory input into Archivist’s Toolkit. Eventually I get around to doing bio/history, scope and content notes and name/subject entries. Then AT spits it out and I put it on the Finding Aids web page. I then do a MARC record in Voyager that links to the finding aid, with minimal information. We also have the library website set up now so that in the home page you can put a keyword search in the find box and choose archives on the drop down menu and it will search the web pages and finding aids as well as Voyager. I believe most of our researchers, other than HWS students, find us through Google searches.